I usually don't follow a recipe when I make chili. I just see what's around and go from there. I'm trying to use what is in my freezer this week so I found chicken sausage, black beans and 1/2 a can of diced tomatoes.
Blue Kitchen Chili
1 large onion- roughly chopped
lots of garlic-8 cloves 6 roughly chopped and 2 pressed
2 chicken sausage (from whole foods)
red and green pepper
frozen corn- however much you like- a cup?
zucchini- sliced in half moons
cumin 1 Tablespoon
ancho chili powder 2-3 tablespoons
port wine or red wine or broth= about a 1/4 cup
oregano- just sprinkle a bit
28 oz. Can crushed tomatoes plus 1/2 can of diced or whatever you have- you can even use leftover spaghetti sauce
salt, pepper & cayenne pepper to taste
1. Saute onion in pan for a few minutes then add chicken sausage removed from it's casing, breaking it up with a spatula as it cooks. Toss in 6 cloves of roughly chopped garlic. When the everything looks nicely browned add the spices and cook for just a minute or 2 until they are very fragrant. Transfer it to a crockpot or a pot if you are cooking it all on the stove.
2. Next, deglaze the pan with what you have around- preferably red wine- I used port this time because that is what was open. But broth would do too. Use a wooden spoon or whatever to get up all those nicely browned bits on the pan. Let it simmer for a minute to reduce and get thick. Now dump this on top of the sausage mixture.
3. Throw in peppers and saute a bit. Add them to your pot.
4. Now add whatever beans you are using to you pot. I make dried beans and freeze them so I just add whatever amount looks good. A can of drained black beans would be prefect. Or if you have leftover beans in the fridge like chickpeas use them.
5. Add the canned tomatoes and stir this all up. I also like to use the garlic press and squeeze in 2 more cloves of garlic now. Throw in 2 bay leaves. Let this all cook in the crock pot on low for maybe 4-6 hours or simmer on the stove 30 minutes-an hour or so. About a half hour before you are going to eat it add the zucchini chopped up and the corn. Taste and adjust seasonings now too.